|Job Title:||Senior Toy Designer|
In a nutshell:
IDEO’s Play Lab is looking for a talented, build-focused designer to join our toy invention team. As a senior designer, you will work closely with a skilled team of designers and engineers to dream up and bring toy concepts to life through prototyping. IDEO’s Play Lab creates innovative, fun, and engaging products and experiences with a focus on toys for kids. Will you join us in inventing the next generation of toys?
What matters most:
– 2+ years of build experience
– A passion for making and inventing new ideas
– Experience bringing products to market
– An interest in toys and playful experiences
– Well developed skills in hand prototyping, rapid prototyping, and CAD
– Experience prototyping and solving complex mechanical challenges
– Experience self-guiding and leading projects
– A well developed, efficient project workflow
– A background in industrial design or engineering
– An aptitude for operating shop machinery
– Great communication and collaboration skills
– Motivation, initiative, and attention to detail
– An ability to generate ideas quickly
– Knowledge of how things are made
– Experience in and knowledge of the toy industry is a major plus
Once here you will:
– Join an experienced, interdisciplinary team of makers
– Support junior team members
– Generate new to-the-world toy ideas
– Identify toy invention opportunities
– Tinker, explore, and validate toy concepts
– Create high quality working prototypes
– Push our team to improve the quality of our work
– Solve complex mechanical challenges
– Explore and push concepts further through sketching
– Create engaging videos of prototypes and concepts
– Share our inventions with clients
– Have fun every day!
Some previous toy inventions to check out:
– Alpha Training Blue
– Flip Slide
– Barbie Dream Camper
– Paw Patrol Flip & Fly
– Barbie Sparkle Lights Mermaid
– Shopkins Super Mall
– Hungry Bunnies
– Little Live Pets Hedgehog
– Imaginext DC Super Friends R/C Mobile Command Center
– Barbie Hello Dreamhouse
Question for you
Please include your answer to the following question in your cover letter.
If you could redesign a toy: what would it be, why should it be redesigned, how might you make it better?
Our ideal candidate is a builder at heart – who thrives on making things real. In addition to your resume and cover letter (with pop quiz answer), please submit examples of your work and capabilities – Design projects, mechanisms, electronics, personal projects, shop skills, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.