JOB TITLE: Product Design Engineer
Reporting to: Bryn Barklam, Creative Head – Product
Department: Product Development
Location: Hatfields, London
A Bit About Us….
Our London office is home to over 120 skilled individuals with a collaborative spirit. We thrive on each other’s differences, from industry-leading insight formers to award-winning creative types. Together we create big, bold campaigns for many of the world’s best-known brands including McDonald’s, Adidas, Red Bull and Cereal Partners Worldwide. Award-winning, fully-integrated know-how stretching back over 30 years.
From our heritage in retail and promotional marketing, we are now an agency that offers clients 360 degree thinking and creative, with ‘digital’ forming an essential part of our core offering.
In line with this, and to ensure The Marketing Store continues to evolve as a world class, award-winning ideas agency, we have developed a new agency proposition which puts people at the heart of our process and the agency itself. Promoting the use of data and collaborative working across the Global agency is fundamental to this new proposition.
Here it’s people that matter. At The Marketing Store, you count. Whatever your passion, personality and personal ambition, we all do our bit to help each other shine. As a result, our 10 offices around the world employ more than 800 people, and we’re known internationally as one of the “best places to work”.
Here’s Why We Think You Will Love This Role….
The Marketing store (TMS) has a long, exciting history as a highly innovative, inspirationally creative, global marketing agency. Our focus is on creating the most effective, brand building, behavior changing programs for iconic brands and businesses across the world. Our through-the-line model is led by data, fueled by cultural insight and focused on retail activation, products and experiences that drive the business. Our solutions are built around the ways real humans actually behave, and we behave like real humans too. We’re collaborative, supportive of one another, respectful of everyone, and generally fun to be around.
The primary focus for the Product Design Engineer will be to develop premium toy concepts for McDonald’s Happy Meals. The demands of resource and client activity within the department, will at times, require secondary support for other toy and gift solutions for McDonald’s and other new business activity. You will sit within the Product Development department and assist in leading development on projects, providing functional and manufacturable design options, working with designers, production and safety teams to exacting corporate and client driven safety standards.
What You Will Bring to The Agency….
As the Product Design Engineer, you sit within the Engineering department – part of the broader Product Development group of The Marketing Store. In partnership with the Product Designers, the Product Design Engineer you will be responsible for providing design-engineered solutions, taking concepts from an initial idea right through to tooling and production. Innovative, practical, functional and manufacturing-led solutions are critical, whilst ensuring solutions are cost effective and meet exacting corporate and client driven safety standards.
You will be a great people person keen to make an impression on colleagues and clients, with a very high level of attention to detail in order to deliver work accurately and within timelines. You will also ‘wow’ us with your presentation skills, and express ideas with clarity, confidence and logical reasoning.
- Identify and understand key consumer insights and client brand values to drive forward creative thinking, establishing rationale for the engineering development of concepts and products.
- Collaborate with the design team from brief stage, participate in idea generation sessions and support and lead viable solutions to commercial reality.
- Research and decide upon suitable materials and production methods, ensuring specific client and legislative regulations are strictly followed.
- Where and when required, use 3D CAD software and 3D printing tools to develop and prove mechanical, functional or aesthetic solutions. Generate data to support as appropriate for further prototype or end-solution production purposes.
- Review, test and approve functional prototypes, working with the QA & Safety team to ensure they meet client specifications.
- Ensure concepts are cost-estimated to meet stringent budget criteria. A regular dialogue with our Hong Kong based production group will be needed to validate design, pricing & safety aspects.
- Maintain awareness of new product opportunities, current premium trends & developments, and manufacturing techniques and production innovations.
- Support client services teams to present to clients at various stages of the development process, i.e. at concept, model, tooling and pre-production phases.
Skills and Experience We Would Like You to Have…
- Degree in product/mechanical engineering related degree or equivalent qualification
- Extensive working experience gained within product development or manufacturing industries (i.e. toy, consumer goods, FMCG, medical industries will be an advantage)
- Experience working within production & supply chain facilities is an advantage, but not essential
- Experience within the toy industry an advantage but not essential
- Excellent Solid Works CAD (or similar) skills is essential
- Provide sound mechanical solutions to team concepts
- Understand and apply design for manufacture principles
- Robust product costing knowledge to ensure concept budget adherence
- Excellent engineering plastics materials knowledge
- A sound understanding of print-based production techniques is an advantage
- Far East manufacturing/sourcing an advantage
- Good freehand sketching skills desirable, though not essential
- Keen interest in children’s play materials, entertainment brands and licenses an advantage
- A determined problem solver
- Strong time and people management
- Methodical product evaluation and analytical skills
Those Extra Perks!
- 22 days’ holiday standard (increases year on year with service)
- An additional three days for the Christmas period
- Your birthday off and £50 cash and a bottle of bubbly on us!
- Private Health Cover with AXA PPP (for you)
- Dental cover with Denplan (for you)
- Annual Discretionary Performance Bonus
- Childcare Vouchers
- ‘Bike to Work’ scheme
- Life Assurance at four times your annual salary
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Referral bonus for new hires
- Long Service Bonus at 5, 10, 15 years
- Socials and sports teams
- Beer-fridge Fridays and regular socials
We are the Marketing Store and we would love to meet you!