MGA scoops Toy of the Year award for L.O.L Surprise
MGA Entertainment, LEGO and Spin Master were among the winners at this year’s Toy of the Year awards, which took place at the Ziegfeld Ballroom in New York City.
L.O.L. Surprise! by MGA Entertainment received the Toy of the Year award, while TeeTurtle’s Unstable Unicorns won the People’s Choice award for gaining the most votes from consumers.
TOTY awards were handed out in 17 categories and given to the following:
· Action Figure of the Year: Mattel Jurassic World Dinosaur Action Figures by Mattel
· Collectible of the Year: LEGO Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts Minifigure Series by LEGO
· Construction Toy of the Year: LEGO Harry Potter Great Hall by LEGO
· Creative Toy of the Year: Cool Maker KumiKreator by Spin Master
· Doll of the Year: L.O.L. Surprise! Eye Spy Under Wraps by MGA Entertainment
· Game of the Year: Disney Villainous by Wonder Forge by Ravensburger
· Infant/Toddler Toy of the Year: Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Smart Learning Home by Mattel
· Innovative Toy of the Year: Botley the Coding Robot Activity Set by Learning Resources
· License of the Year: L.O.L. Surprise! by MGA Entertainment
· Outdoor Toy of the Year: Glove-A-Bubbles by Zing
· Playset Toy of the Year (tie): LEGO Creator Expert Roller Coaster by LEGO and L.O.L. Surprise! House by MGA Entertainment
· Plush of the Year (tie): Scruff-A-Luvs by Moose Toys and Star Wars Ultimate Co-Pilot Chewie by Hasbro
· Preschool Toy of the Year: Fisher-Price Think & Learn Rocktopus by Mattel
· Rookie of the Year: Ollyball – The Ultimate Indoor Play Ball! by VICTURY Sports
· Specialty Toy of the Year: LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle by LEGO
· Tech Toy of the Year: Arcade1Up by Tastemakers
· Vehicle of the Year: PAW Patrol Ultimate Rescue Fire Truck by Spin Master & Nickelodeon
During the ceremony, Brian Goldner, chairman and CEO, Hasbro, Inc., the late Stan Lee, former editor-in-chief, publisher, and chairman of Marvel Comics, and the late Joe Mendelsohn, former president of Kenner Products, were inducted into the esteemed Toy Industry Hall of Fame.
“On the eve of Toy Fair New York, a sold-out TOTY Awards gala underscores the health and vitality of the toy manufacturing and retail community as we focus on building successes in year ahead together,” said Steve Pasierb, president and CEO of The Toy Association.
“Honouring the contributions of Brian Goldner, Stan Lee, and Joe Mendelsohn, together with a remarkable line up of TOTY finalists, is testament to the innovation, passion, and talent seen across the toy community. It’s certain to be a spectacular night of celebration and remembrance.”
Proceeds from the awards program and event supported The Toy Foundation’s charitable work to bring toys to millions of children in need.